Nothing from June 7, 2023 to November 7, 2023.
What is it?
The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a Ministry approved award you can earn during grade eleven and twelve. It is valuable because it shows that you have focused your education toward a particular employment sector (major). Check out www.highskills.ca for more information.
Speak to your Guidance counsellor about registering for the program!
Did you know?
- 50% of gr. 11 and gr. 12 students at St. Benedict are registered in the Specialist High Skills Major program.
- St. Benedict offers 11 different majors including:
- Arts and Culture
- Health and Wellness
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Information Communication Technology
- Justice & Community Service
- SHSM is available for students in all pathways
Why get involved?
Students who successfully complete all components of the program earn a Specialist High Skills Major (Red Seal) designation on their Diploma.
Some secondary institutions offer scholarships. For example, the University of Guelph-Humber offers a $500 Entrance Award for students in these majors: Arts & Culture, Business, Health & Wellness, Information & Communications Technology, and Justice & Community Services. Read more about it on their website.
Are you in grade 9 or 10?
Start thinking about and planning on taking your Specialist High Skills Major.
Students participate in:
COURSES – Specific grade 11 and 12 courses
CERTIFICATIONS – Earn Industry recognized Certifications (organized by the school)
COOP – complete 2 credits in COOP
To get started…
- Visit www.highskills.ca to choose your major.
- Complete the participation form and submit it to the guidance office.
- During grade 10 course Selections (February) choose required gr. 11 courses listed on www.highskills.ca
- Consider taking a COOP in Grade 11 OR Grade 12 OR during summer school OR during night school
- Stay tuned for certificate training session, invitations will be given to you in your period 1 class.
Already registered as an SHSM student?
Get ready for a great year of certifications and training sessions that will allow you to explore and learn more about your future career.
For Grade 11 Course Selection: Choose grade 12 required courses found at www.highskills.ca
Have you taken your CO-OP yet? If not, now is the time to choose CO-OP.
Do you want to see if a course can be used for SHSM?
Use our SHSM Course Finder.
Contact your guidance counsellor or Mrs. Crowell in the Co-Op Office.