The Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM) is a Ministry approved award you can earn during grade eleven and twelve. It is valuable because it shows that you have focused your education toward a particular employment sector (major). Check out www.highskills.ca for more information.
Speak to your Guidance counsellor about registering for the program!
Students who successfully complete all components of the program earn a Specialist High Skills Major (Red Seal) designation on their Diploma.
Some secondary institutions offer scholarships. For example, the University of Guelph-Humber offers a $500 Entrance Award for students in these majors: Arts & Culture, Business, Health & Wellness, Information & Communications Technology, and Justice & Community Services. Read more about it on their website.
Start thinking about and planning on taking your Specialist High Skills Major.
Students participate in:
COURSES – Specific grade 11 and 12 courses
CERTIFICATIONS – Earn Industry recognized Certifications (organized by the school)
COOP – complete 2 credits in COOP
To get started…
- Visit www.highskills.ca to choose your major.
- Complete the participation form and submit it to the guidance office.
- During grade 10 course Selections (February) choose required gr. 11 courses listed on www.highskills.ca
- Consider taking a COOP in Grade 11 OR Grade 12 OR during summer school OR during night school
- Stay tuned for certificate training session, invitations will be given to you in your period 1 class.