Tuesday, March 31, 2020
The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) will be written by eligible students in Grade 10 and for students in Grade 11 and 12 who have not been previously successful.
Deferrals / Accommodations
- Students who are enrolled in an ESL program will either be deferred from writing the test this year, or will be able to write with accommodations.
- Students who have an IEP may write the test with the accommodations (e.g. extra time, preferred seating, use of computers and/or assistive technology) listed in their IEP.
- Students not working towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma are exempt from writing the test.
Further information regarding the OSSLT can be found at Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO).
Information regarding the online Literacy Test along with test samples can be found on the EQAO OSSLT pages.
Take a look at our Google Slides presentation on Writing Tips for the OSSLT.
- OSSLT Online Sample Test – instructions and videos:
- Tools – instructional video – for the online OSSLT – 45 seconds
- Writing Tools – instructional video – for the online OSSLT – 37 seconds
- Multiple-Choice Tools – instructional video – for the online OSSLT – 17 seconds
- Text Reader – instructional video – for the online OSSLT – 23 seconds
- OSSLT Online Sample Test Page – from the EQAO website
- scroll to the bottom of the webpage, under “Start the sample test” choose from one of four tests:
- English, Session 1 – first part of sample test, 75 minutes (no assistive technology)
- English, Session 2 – second part of sample test, 75 minutes (no assistive technology)
- English, Session 1, with text-to-speech accommodation – first part of sample test, 75 minutes
- English, Session 2, with text-to-speech accommodation – second part of sample test, 75 minutes
- OSSLT Literacy Prep. Day – tentative dates: TBA
- Printable PDF Files
- YouTube Videos – presentations with reading and writing strategies
- Slideshows / Powerpoint Presentations
- After School Help
- Begins semester 2
- Wednesdays & Thursdays (starting February 6)
- 2:15 pm – 3:30 pm
- Room 212 (Student Success Room)
- Tips, hints and strategies for writing opinion pieces, news reports and other aspects of the OSSLT.
- Teachers: Mrs. Borba, Mrs. Healy, Ms. Weiditch
- Practice Test(s)
- For the 2016-2017 school year – practice for the OSSLT will consist of:
- Sept./Oct – the OSSLT Online Sample Test – from the EQAO website (see above)
- Thurs. Nov. 17 – during gr. 10 per. 1 classes – practice test of Multiple Choice & Short Answer questions
- Week of Nov. 21 – during gr. 10 per. 2 classes – practice News Report long writing task
- Week of Nov. 21 – during gr. 10 per. 3 classes – practice Opinion Essay long writing task