Literacy test prep is well under way! Grade 10 students have completed mini-mock and mock Literacy Tests in semester 1. Feedback will be provided to both students and their parents by the end of semester 1.
Semester 2 roll out of Literacy Test prep will begin on February 6. Stay tuned for more details.
All grade 10 students and previously eligible students have access to a specialized D2L OSSLT page which they can access by logging in to their D2L account.
Please contact Amy Healy for more information.
St. Benedict will be administering the Mock Literacy Test on Tuesday November 14th during period one. Teachers will be sharing an OSSLT Power point to highlight key areas of the test. This power point is also available for students and parents to view on the Literacy Test Prep page of our school website.
The purpose of the Mock Literacy Test is to gain diagnostic data. This data will help us program, support and create intervention strategies for students specific to their areas of weakness. The official OSSLT testing occurs in the new year on April 5th 2018.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact MS. Jennifer Ertel at extension 5231.
Are you in grade 10? If so, you will be interested in our Literacy Test Prep page. There you will find a lot of information and links to resources related to the Literacy Test.
For more information about the Literacy Test, please see Mrs. Ertel in the office across from room 208.
Tuesday, March 31, 2020
The Ontario Secondary School Literacy Test (OSSLT) will be written by eligible students in Grade 10 and for students in Grade 11 and 12 who have not been previously successful.
Deferrals / Accommodations
- Students who are enrolled in an ESL program will either be deferred from writing the test this year, or will be able to write with accommodations.
- Students who have an IEP may write the test with the accommodations (e.g. extra time, preferred seating, use of computers and/or assistive technology) listed in their IEP.
- Students not working towards their Ontario Secondary School Diploma are exempt from writing the test.
Further information regarding the OSSLT can be found at Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO).
Information regarding the online Literacy Test along with test samples can be found on the EQAO OSSLT pages.
Take a look at our Google Slides presentation on Writing Tips for the OSSLT.
- OSSLT Online Sample Test – instructions and videos:
- Tools – instructional video – for the online OSSLT – 45 seconds
- Writing Tools – instructional video – for the online OSSLT – 37 seconds
- Multiple-Choice Tools – instructional video – for the online OSSLT – 17 seconds
- Text Reader – instructional video – for the online OSSLT – 23 seconds
- OSSLT Online Sample Test Page – from the EQAO website
- scroll to the bottom of the webpage, under “Start the sample test” choose from one of four tests:
- English, Session 1 – first part of sample test, 75 minutes (no assistive technology)
- English, Session 2 – second part of sample test, 75 minutes (no assistive technology)
- English, Session 1, with text-to-speech accommodation – first part of sample test, 75 minutes
- English, Session 2, with text-to-speech accommodation – second part of sample test, 75 minutes
- OSSLT Literacy Prep. Day – tentative dates: TBA
- Printable PDF Files
- Literacy Test Study Sheet
- Key Words/Phrases in Questions from past Literacy Tests
- Common Vocabulary from past Literacy Tests
- Types of (multiple choice & open response) Questions from past Literacy Tests
- All 3 above documents in 1 convenient file
- OSSLT at WCDSB – brochure from WCDSB Literacy Consultant
- Tips for Success
- Tip Sheet – EQAO Booklet Layout
- Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) – OSSLT main page
- Released OSSLT Materials
– examples of actual questions from previous test booklets with scoring guides and sample student responses
- Sample tests and instant feedback (DPCDSB)
- Grammar Bytes! – Grammar Instruction with Attitude
- YouTube Videos – presentations with reading and writing strategies
- Slideshows / Powerpoint Presentations
- After School Help
- Begins semester 2
- Wednesdays & Thursdays (starting February 6)
- 2:15 pm – 3:30 pm
- Room 212 (Student Success Room)
- Tips, hints and strategies for writing opinion pieces, news reports and other aspects of the OSSLT.
- Teachers: Mrs. Borba, Mrs. Healy, Ms. Weiditch
- Practice Test(s)
- For the 2016-2017 school year – practice for the OSSLT will consist of:
- Sept./Oct – the OSSLT Online Sample Test – from the EQAO website (see above)
- Thurs. Nov. 17 – during gr. 10 per. 1 classes – practice test of Multiple Choice & Short Answer questions
- Week of Nov. 21 – during gr. 10 per. 2 classes – practice News Report long writing task
- Week of Nov. 21 – during gr. 10 per. 3 classes – practice Opinion Essay long writing task